November 15, 2012

We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together

In September Teeny discovered a girl in his class had a crush on him.  Which wasn't a bad thing because it turned out that he had a crush on her too.  This of course meant that they were "going together" or whatever they're calling it in elementary school these days.  Coincidentally, this girl's brother is in the same Cub scout troop as Teeny and the following Thursday was Pack meeting.  This meant that I got to meet her.  I was excited to see who had caught my son's eye.  She was pretty and seemed nice but she was hanging all over my son the entire time.  She was obviously twitterpatted.  I thought it seemed a tad excessive for the age but I found out later that she's 11, which explains a whole lot about her behavior. 

Have I mentioned that Teeny turned 9 at the end of the summer?

Well, a week or so went by and suddenly this girl decided that she no longer liked him.  Which is normal for the age.  I didn't think anything of it.  I consoled my son and moved on.  Until he mentioned that she was now being mean to him.  I guess she wasn't okay that he wasn't pining for her.  I advised him to just ignore her.  He replied that it was a little hard to since she now sits by him.  

Later we were on a date and Taylor Swift's latest hit came on the radio.  Teeny started singing along and then inspiration struck.  I teasingly told him that he should sing this song to her to let her know he was so over her and the way she was treating him.  We laughed and forgot about.  That is until he came home from school the next Monday with a huge grin on his face.  Yup, he actually did it.  On the walk home from school Graham had started singing "We are never ever getting....." to her.  As you can guess, she was ticked.  

Let's just say this song came out at the perfect time.

While I find the whole situation funny, I fear that I might have sent the wrong message to my son. Have a taught him to treat his "exes" poorly?  Or have I taught him that it's okay to stand up for himself in a non mean way?  What do you think?

Ella


copyright Ella's Place

No comments:

Post a Comment