December 8, 2011

Mini Miracles

A couple of months ago I found a $100 bill.  It was a busy Saturday at the library with the farmers market across the street sharing the parking lot, which meant there was a lot of foot traffic.  That money could have belonged to any number of people.  Knowing how upset I'd be if I had lost that much money, I turned it in hoping it would find the one who'd lost it.  

A lot of stuff happened right after to pushed that $100 right out of my mind.  In fact, a week later I had a baby and things haven't slowed down since; there's been surgeries, a baptism, cubscouts, visits to family in Utah, a baby blessing and even a broken leg.  We can't forget school with all of the time spent on homework and all the drama that comes with children being in 1st & 3rd grade.  In short, I had forgotten all about it.

Then today I received a phone call requesting my presence at the library to meet with one of the administrators.  I agreed but was bewildered; I couldn't imagine why they needed to speak with me.  I didn't have any outstanding fees or missing materials.  Frankly, I felt like I was still in school and had just been called to the principal's office. 

So, I presented myself and was given an envelope.  Inside was the $100 that I had found all those months ago.  They had advertised for 3 months and no one came to claim it, so they gave it to me.  I guess they were operating on the "finders keepers" premise.

This is the latest in mini miracles that we've experienced lately. 

Like most of the world right now, money is tight for us.  Not just because of the approaching holidays but also because of babies, surgeries, a broken leg and everyday life as a family of 7.  In fact, we haven't been this poor in a very long time and it's scary. 

Then amazing little things began to happen.  The first was being told that my son's broken leg was only going to take 4 weeks to heal instead of the 6-8 weeks we had originally been told.  Along with that, the break required a much simpler cast than expected which meant our lives would be much less complicated.  Next was a refund check from the dentist telling us that we had overpaid them by almost $100.  Then an emergency visit to the dentist was free due to a confusing explanation about a warranty.  Who's ever heard of a warranty on dental work that I'm not even sure they did?  Then finally this unclaimed $100.

A miracle by definition is an act of God or an event that is amazing, extraordinary or unexpected but were these small incidents miracles?  I guess it all depends on your outlook but what it all really means to me is that I know my Father in Heaven is mindful of me.  I'm not alone.  It's not me up against a hard, cruel world but rather it's me working in conjunction with Him.  I don't have to bear the weight of the world or my family on my shoulders.  I just need to do my best and have faith that He will carry me the rest of the way. 

Ella


© Ella's Place

No comments:

Post a Comment