December 1, 2011

Coming Out

Why is it that people look down on those who read romance novels?  I've never really been able to understand it.  I mean it's perfectly acceptable to watch a romantic movie or listen to romantic songs.  You may think that there isn't a prejudice against romance novels but there is.  I feel it every time I go to the library to check one out.  Are they trying to make me feel guilty?  Or are they just jealous because they too like to read romance novels but are afraid to admit it?

 So here I am "coming out" to the world saying that I enjoy reading romance novels.  There is nothing wrong with it, unless it is poorly written and that can be said of any book written in any genre.

I'm not afraid to say that not only do I read romance novels but I think some of the best writers have been authors in this genre.  It is hard to write a romance novel that isn't sappy drivel.  There is nothing new about falling in love; it's been done since Adam and Eve.  You may not agree with me and that's fine but before you say anything, I want you to sit down and try to write just a romantic short story that is really good!  It's harder than you may think. 

And if you think about it, there is usually a little bit of romance in every book.  It may not be as exciting as falling in love but its there, in the little things.  A couple holding hands in the background.  A wife devastated by the loss of a husband.  In fact, romance is all around us; you just have to recognize it.

                        Here are my top recommendations for romantic must reads:

My absolute favorite romance author is Georgette Heyer!  She is the queen of romance.  Not only are her books well written but they're witty and vibrant.  Ironically enough, it was my father who first Introduce me to her books.  (It's not only women who enjoy a good romance!) 

Emilie Loring is also at the top of great romance novelists although her books are no longer in print so you'll need to scour the used book stores to find them but trust me, they're worth it! 

I can't leave out Jane Austen; her Elizabeth Bennett and Mr. Darcy make my heart happy.  On the same note, Shannon Hale's book Austenland is definitely worth a read  but then again, she had great material to work with.

I just discovered Marcia Lynn McClure.  She is aptly called "The Queen of Kissing."  You can find out more about her here. 

Grace Livingston Hill writes wonderful, uplifting romances with an overlaying theme of Christianity.  I actually named one of my sons after one of her characters.  Don't tell my husband that though.

In speaking of Mary Burchell, I am specifically referring to her Oscar Warrender Saga.  These books are set in the world of opera, classical music and the performing arts and are hard to find.



*Disclaimer*
I have not listed all of the well written romance novelists.  There are many more out there.  You just need to find them.  In fact, I would love to hear some of your favorites!

*Another Disclaimer*
I only read romance novels that have a PG-13 rating and below.  Be careful when you judge a romance novel by its cover.  Some books that have risque covers are actually worthy of a PG-13 rating.  On the flip side, some romance book covers are sedate but are definitely not worthy of a PG-13 rating.

*Yet Another Disclaimer*
This isn't really a disclaimer.  I have 3 bulging bookcases in my room.  My husband would love to buy me another one; so please suggest more authors so I can buy more books! 


Ella


© Ella's Place

No comments:

Post a Comment