February 20, 2012

She Said

I love my children.  I love the fact that I get to stay at home and be there for them.  I love laughing and dancing with them.  I love watching them turn into amazing little people.  But there are times when I get frustrated.  Times when I just want space from them. 

Last week was one of those times that I just wanted space from my children.  There was no specific reason for it either.  I was just tired of picking up toys and whatever else they decided needed to decorate the floor that day.  I didn't really want children clinging to me every single moment

So there I was, feeling closed in while serving lunch to my 5 & almost 2 year old.  I was putting pretzels on their plates and then my daughter said the most random thing. 

Her:  Mom, you know you're serving God.
Me:  What do you mean?
Her:  Well, because you're serving us.  You serve God when you serve others. 

After establishing what a smart girl she is, I thought about what she said.  I started to feel less closed in. 

After lunch I sent the two of them to take a bath.  After I handed them both their own wash cloth, she looked me straight in the eye and said, "You're still serving God."  She then turned away and started splashing her brother, acting like nothing out of the ordinary had happened.

In the days after this I've thought a lot about what she said. 

I've come to realize many things.  First of all, I have an amazing daughter who most definitely listened to the promptings of the Holy Ghost that day.  How else could she have known what to say at that moment to uplift me and make me feel better?  Not just once but twice. 

Secondly, my Father in Heaven is aware of me and the little things going on in my life.  Sometimes it's so easy to feel like He has so much to do and so many people to help that your small feeling of frustration won't be noticed.  But He does notice.  He does care. 

I also gained a new way to view taking care of my children.  Everytime I helped tie their shoe or washed their face, I was really helping my Father in Heaven.  It's not a new concept but the time it was said by the person who said it has had a rather profound effect upon me. 

I haven't yet finished wrapping my mind around this new concept.  I'm not yet sure how it will change me as a Mom and as a person.  I only know that it has changed me. 

Ella


© Ella's Place

No comments:

Post a Comment