January 1, 2012

Resolutions

I decided not to set any resolutions this year.  Mainly because I'm not a goal oriented person; oddly enough my husband is.  He has many lists of goals: yearly, 5 years and even 10 years.  He wants to run a 4 hour marathon, study a new language each year, attend a World Cup game where Brazil is playing and even participate in the 2030 Iron Man Championship in Hawaii.  I can't even fathom setting such detailed long term goals.  My long term goals are to be happy, raise my kids to be good people and to be a good person myself. 

My other reason for not setting any resolutions is because I'm afraid if I say it out loud then I will jinx myself.  That Murphy's Law will rear it's ugly head and put every obstacle it possibly can in my path.  I did have a general goal in mind but never stated outright that it was my resolution.  In my mind, I was circumventing all the disappointment and frustration that would happen if I didn't attain my goal. 

Unfortunately, Murphy's Law read my mind and I have already broken the resolution I never made.  I still feel guilty about it too.

Should I count today as a lesson learned and start fresh tomorrow?  Or just give in and indulge my natural tendencies and "resolve" to do better next year?  If I do decide to start fresh, do I actually write down my goal thus making it "official" and open to Murphy's Law?  Or do I keep it hidden and protected in my thoughts?  I mean Murphy can't read my mind everyday can he? 

I've already decided but am reluctant to say anything.  I think this is a weird kink in my personality.  Think about it; I chose to write about this in my blog for anyone to read.  Do I think that you are going to inform Murphy of my intentions thus jump starting the obstacles.  Logically, it would be beneficial to share my decision with you.  I'm sure you would offer encouragement and support no matter what I decided.  You could be my conscience; holding me accountable for my actions.  

I'm still not telling.

What does this say about me as a person?  Does anyone else think the way I do?

Ella


© Ella's Place

No comments:

Post a Comment